Wednesday, April 10, 2024

What Do The Genotype And Phenotype Of Catholicism Have To Do With The Incarnation, C.S. Lewis, Joni Mitchell And The Burning Of Chartres Cathedral

 Image result for italian family feast"

The Sacrament of The Table

🌈🌊🌈


"The Phenotypic Expression Of Religion Matters More Than Its Dogmatic Genotype


Dear Paul and Velda,

Under the rubric of "don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone," Cynthia and I wonder if either of you still self-identify as Catholic?

I do.

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone." 

Coming soon! 

A brand new parking lot!

image.png
Chartres Cathedral burning, April 15, 2019

"All the books were starting to turn against me."

image.png

"All the books were beginning to turn against me. Indeed, I must have been as blind as a bat not to have  seen, long before, the ludicrous contradiction between my theory of life and my actual experiences as a reader. George MacDonald had done more to me than any other writer; of course it was a pity that he had that bee in his bonnet about Christianity. He was good in spite of it. Chesterton had more sense than all the other moderns put together; bating, of course, his Christianity. Johnson was one of a few authors whom I felt I could trust utterly; curiously enough, he had the same kink. Spenser and Milton by strange coincidence had it too. Even among ancient authors the same paradox was to be found. The most religious (Plato, Aeschylus, Virgil) were clearly those on whom I could really feed. On the other hand, those writers who did not suffer from religion and with whom my sympathy ought to have been complete—Shaw and Wells and Mill and Gibbon and Voltaire—all seemed a little thin; what as boys we called ‘tinny.’ It wasn’t that I didn’t like them. They were all (especially Gibbon) entertaining; but hardly more. There seemed to be no depth in them. They were too simple. The roughness and density of life did not appear in their books.... The upshot of it all could nearly be expressed in a perversion of Roland’s great line in the Chanson: ‘Christians are wrong, but all the rest are bores.’"
C.S. Lewis

image.png
A Christian nationalist, Trump cult friend of mine, who happens to have at least residual respect for C.S. Lewis, is -- true to form -- convinced that she KNOWS the mind of God right down to the most minute detail.
How else can these folks justify their unwavering fondness for Malignant Messiah?

Pax et amor

Alan 

💝💥💝


No comments:

Post a Comment