Saturday, January 2, 2021

Alan Archibald: 2020 Year In Review




Hark, The Herald Angels Sing!

I hope your Christmas celebration was merry! 

Very. https://soundcloud.com/alan-archibald/how-the-grinch-stole-christmas

Looking back on 2020...

On January 13th, 40 hours before my plane was to depart for Oaxaca (where I planned a "long winter's nap" singing with Túnel del Tiempo and enjoying the many pleasures of this fabulously creative city), I "over-extended" my right knee. The mishap was so hobbling I couldn't walk at all for a while, and later had to "climb" my bedroom stairs sitting on my butt, ass-backwards. 

Until noon next day I could not imagine undertaking my planned journey to Mexico. 

But with the help of a skilled wheelchair assistant in the Mexico City airport, I arrived in Oaxaca "on time" and was greeted by the smiling face of good friend Alma Delia Blas and her husband, Jesus.                                                                                                                                                                                       Merry Christmas!  (This song will make you happy)                                                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U7VFT78y6A

Alma had arranged for me to live in a luminous little apartment in Jalatlaco, my favorite Oaxaca barrio. 

Until 2020's winter stay, I had never lived in Oaxaca's Historic District and being downtown facilitated my work with the band and teaching English to my lovely student Consuelo who almost always came bearing gifts - big and small. Mexican generosity is caritas "the way God meant it to be."

For 3 months, Túnel del Tiempo (aka "La Fuente del Rock en Oaxaca") played every Friday, Saturday and Sunday just across from Oaxaca's cathedral - en la Alameda de León - a stone's throw from the zócalo.

Until early March, when the pandemic put an end to public performance, we also played gigs at the grand opening of Taqueria "El Taco Endiablado" (in the hill community above Basilica de la Soledad); enjoyed a "break-out performance" at La Casa Colonial (about a half mile from the Basilica); and performed at a blowout 50th birthday party for a fun woman named Antonieta, an event catered by two companies, one serving dinner, the other providing late night tacos prepped over an open fire. After the birthday party, a band-mate asked if I had seen the bodyguard wielding a semi-automatic weapon, a circumstance that led to speculation that a cartel was behind the festivities.

Basilica de la Soledad: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150801-d155942-Reviews-Basilica_de_la_Soledad-Oaxaca_Southern_Mexico.html

La Casa Colonial: http://www.casa-colonial.com/

The following photo of my Oaxaca band, taken during a break at our Casa Colonial gig, reminds me of my sad duty to say that friend and bandmate, Chuchoche Bautista, (sitting at the far right) died of COVID two months ago.        https://newsfrombarbaria.blogspot.com/2020/12/music-making-with-my-mexican-and-north.html 

Chuchoche was a wonderful man and it blows a hole in my heart every time I remember he is no longer with us. 

Oscar Castellanos Toledo, Abel Bautista, Zuri Montes, Jesus "Chuchoche" Bautista

This winter, I and my Oaxacan friends en la familia Benitez began a Sunday afternoon custom of feasting at their home alongside the old ferrocarril, a kilometer southeast of Oaxaca's Historic District. Every Sunday I brought a kilo of carnitas (and fixings) while Marlen and Blanca prepared aguas de fruta and freshly thrown tortillas. After eating, I would read a chapter of "Macario" to the adults and a chapter of "Matilda" (in Spanish) to the kids. It was especially sweet to spend this "bonus" time with my boon companion and guitar accompanist, Refugio "Cuco" Benitez, while getting to know his smart and unusually curious son, David.

David, Blanca y David Carlos

My Best "Short Guide" To Oaxaca, The Mexican City Where I Live And Work Over Winter

Refugio "Cuco" Benitez y Oscar Toledo Castellanos
En La Fuente del Rock

                              Making Music With Cuco                          

2020's sojourn in Oaxaca made me keenly aware of the top-notch free music concerts given at "Teatro Macedonio Alcalá," and at "Centro Cultural San Pablo" where a cornucopia of cultural events are presented -- free of charge -- under the sponsorship of 
Carlos Slim Helú, at one time the world's richest man

Not only are these performances exceptionally well done, but both venues are architectural gems.  

"Teatro Macedonio Alcalá" was a centerpiece initiative of Porfirio Diaz (a native Oaxacan and Mexico's president of longest duration). 

And Helú's "Centro Cultural San Pablo" occupies the sprawling grounds of a 17th century colonial church-cum-convent under patronage of San Pablo. 

My stay in Oaxaca was cut two weeks short when Trump announced that Americans abroad needed to come home immediately, or risk getting stranded "en el exterior" for an indeterminate period of time.

La Familia Sibaja
Yaya, Julieta (madre), Debora, Julieta (hija), Rebeca/"Beca"
with my sister Janet
"La Villada"

Consuelo's Sister Conchita
en la Alameda de León
(la catedral de Oaxaca en el fondo)

When I got back to the States in late March, I embarked a two week quarantine even though my Maria and Danny were already home from their respective residences in Flagstaff, Arizona and Colorado Springs... where Danny's Colorado College and 
Maria's Grand Canyon Trust had shut down two weeks earlier. 

"Grand Canyon Trust": https://www.grandcanyontrust.org/

"Colorado College, Colorado Springs": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_College

A fortnight later, after proper “podding,” Danny and I began to make music most days, while Maria (who still worked remotely) joined me for delightful late night walks around town and along the Eno Riverwalk.

Here in Hillsborough, my good friends (with whom I helped open El Restaurante Ixtapa seven years ago)  provided such high quality roadside pickup service throughout the entire pandemic that Ixtapa became an even more loved Hillsborough institution. 

El Restaurante Ixtapa: 
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g49217-d6887858-Reviews-Restaurante_Ixtapa-Hillsborough_North_Carolina.html

When summer arrived, Ixtapa expanded the number of socially-distanced tables on its spacious, shaded lawn, making the restaurant a very attractive meeting place where people felt safe outdoors, socially distanced, in an immaculately hygienic environment.

Pedro and Nicolasa Muñoz

In early July, Danny returned to Colorado College to undertake his academic program, but also to prep for his second year as resident advisor (RA).

Over the summer, Caribou spent considerable time researching electric guitars, finally settling on a Fender Squier "JC Mascis" which has proven to be the ideal instrument for him. 
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-j-mascis-jazzmaster-electric-guitar/l21008000001000  (Danny has since added another - Indonesian-made! - Fender which is better suited to hard rock.)

Since returning to Colorado, Boo has been immersed in musical composition featuring "chord loops" layered with his own bass lines, plus lead guitar riffs "on top." 

I am of course the "proud father," but others who have heard Caribou's compositions are also enthralled, and there is general agreement that Boo's creations are “mesmerizing.” (His most recent jam was inspired by "Angels We Have Heard On High.")

In August, Maria departed Hillsborough to begin a Master's program at the University of Utah (Salt Lake), marking the end of her stellar career at the Grand Canyon Trust where she contributed mightily to the community spirit of her home, while her work with the Trust provided indispensable nourishment to the lives and aspirations of young Native Americans for whom she served as teacher, mentor and guide, helping create a new generation of leaders, artists, teachers and activists. 

Not surprisingly, Maria has found her way into a Salt Lake home with other communitarian artists and activists, and she LOVES her new living arrangement! Maria also enjoys studying with the best professor she has ever had. 

"University of Utah at Salt Lake City": 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Utah

When Maria and Danny left Hillsborough following their pandemic "break," I found myself somewhat pinched by confinement and started making a cappella recordings of beloved songs. In addition to creating a number of satisfying renditions, this project also made me a better singer. (Of course, my voice is getting a bit gravelly at 73. But overall I am very fortunate to produce an occasional "Bingo!")

Ger, Frances, Janet, Danny, El Blanco
Old City, Barcelona

Neither Maria nor Danny came home this Christmas, largely because they feared bringing COVID with them.

And so, I celebrated Christmas with lots of solo caroling, and conference calls overflowing with good cheer.

Christmas afternoon I traveled to the Muñoz family trailer where, thanks to Gladys, Zuri and Nicolasa, I feasted alongside Pedro (hijo) and his Salvadoran brother-in-law Flaco who had just returned from the northern part of the county with a big bottle of "good old boy" moonshine. (I would tell you more... but then I’d have to kill you.)

Also this year, I began conducting twice weekly Spanish gatherings on Zoom with friends Norma, Willard, Byron, Lisa, and new addition, Fred Owens. (Just yesterday, brother Gerald decided to join us as well.)

With lifelong friends Frances Vito and Jimbo Sanfilipo, I participate in twice weekly "dangling conversations" made possible by Google Duo. 

Danny, Jimbo and Frances
Catalonia

Another notable and heartwarming endeavor has been working alongside physician friend David Stoltze, editing his autobiography - one delightful vignette after another. http://paxonbothhouses.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-f-word-dr-david-stoltzes-acceptance.html

I also enjoy regular, uplifting communication with Ed Myer M.D., Fred Owens, Nancy Hardies, Jenny Baboolal and Leigh Sturman, all of whom shower me with love, affection and cozy "feelings of belonging” in there amiable company.

Heartwarming communication is also typifies my interaction with siblings, nieces, nephews and in-laws: among them Janet, Kevin, Billy, Betsy, Margaret and Gerald. 

Early this month, Brother Gerald (who will soon be the last of the Archibald sibs to retire), received a richly deserved ICON honor. Enbuenahora, hermano! https://newsfrombarbaria.blogspot.com/2020/12/homeless-addicted-poor-and-hungry.html

Blessedly, I enjoy a host of other correspondents - too numerous to name - including Matt Cornelia, a family friend for three generations. Matt celebrated his 102nd birthday in July. He still travels the world, marveling at its many wonders. Just today, I received Matt’s annual year-in-review, complete with a hundred word handwritten postscript - a model of concision in which he manages to "touch all the bases."

I am also cheered by daily communication with the smart, witty, convivial members ofo my North Carolina band, “19 Miles From Davis”: John, Alger, Mark, Dan, Gary, Gilly, Alex, DuVal, Benja and Adaire. Dan's daily cartoons and amusing ditties are a special treat. 
Music-Making With '19 Miles From Davis'": 

"19 Miles From Davis" (with our employer in the middle) after a gig at the Hotel Indigo, Durham, North Carolina

I also give thanks to Nadine Hunt who — out of the blue — provided me with a wealth of genealogical information about Gramma Sweeney’s side of the Archibald family. (Mary Agnes Sweeney was Dad's mother.)

And last but not least, it gladdens me to broadcast the news that Nephew Bill and his sweetheart Lindsay, have finished their residency at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and have been accepted into hematology-oncology and endocrinology fellowships at the University of Rochester Medical Center -- a venerable institution as well as my Dad's alma mater. URMC was Bill and Lindsay's First Choice! Not only is the University of Rochester enriched by their presence; the whole Archibald clan is fortunate to have them "back home."


I wish you all a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year!

Love

Alan










No comments:

Post a Comment