Sunday, September 6, 2020

Updating My Proposal Concerning Possible Division Of The "United" States Into Two Separate Nations


Inline image 1

Trump's Most Egregious, In-Your-Face Fascist Declaration: "We're Going To Have To Do Things..."


Dear Arthur,

I think we've spoken of Umair Haque before.

Umair is the only columnist whose writing I always read.

Admittedly, his article below - which relies on events in Kenosha as its point of reference - is very dark.

Although it may be my own darkness that resonates with Umair's view, I think there is at least a 50/50 chance he's basically right.

It "ALL" hinges on November's election, and even if Biden wins, there is no certainty we'll be out of the woods.

"We Don’t Know How to Warn You Any Harder. America is Dying": Umair Haque


I still remain "guardedly optimistic" about November's outcome.

But I also value FiveThirtyEight.com's recent assessment that Trump has a 29% chance of winning. (On the eve of the 2o16 election, Nate Silver's 538 gave Trump a 15% of winning - the same odds as losing Russian Roulette.)

On one hand, I'm reluctant to circulate this information, especially to people like you who fight the good fight of "keeping hope alive."

On the other hand, if we don't see this threat clearly, I think we will be less likely to surmount indispensable near-term hurdles.

Speaking of "amor fati" and the frequently good outcomes that arise from bad situations, I will again mention my background passion which is promoting the idea that the moment is ripe for promoting division of the "United" States into two independent polities.

Is It Time For Red States And Blue States To Collaborate On The Creation Of Two Nations?


If Joe wins in November - and Republicans persevere in their absolutely uncompromising obstructionism - what would happen if President Biden himself suggested --- just suggested --- that red states (basically the neo-Confederacy) seem to want to live in another world from the one blue states wish to live in?

And vice-versa. 

So, Joe says: "What's the deal, my friends? Do you want to be part of the United States which depends now -- as it did in 1787 -- on The Great Compromise? Or, not?"

It seems to me that Americans would be happy -- or, more accurately phrased, Americans would emerge from their intractable depression, anger, hostility and rage -- if the United States were divided into two new nations.

Pax et amore

Alan

PS I fully understand that you may dislike the prospect of dividing the United States into two countries. On the other hand, if the idea attracts you, the Calgary Centre for Global Community may wish to promote examination of the idea, as a productive prelude to Global Federation.

To Compete With China, The United States Should Promote A "Hemispheric Federation"

(2015)
(Currently, five years after writing this post, I would make significant modifications to this essay. Chiefly, I would look toward ways to incorporate China into a Global Federation.)



On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 9:23 PM Arthur Clark wrote:

“Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day.  The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them.  Most people don’t see any.”  - Orson Scott
Our next dialogue will be like a box of chocolates (as usual): You never know what you’re going to get.   It’s on Wednesday September 9, starting at 6:30 PM.  The Zoom link provided by Greg is here:
Link:

Greg Mac 
Managing Director 
Scenarios to Strategy

Several topics have been suggested:
·       Universal Basic Income
·       Building our skill as dialogue artists
·       Helen Ostrowski’s project on the Trans-Canada Trail
I’ll add one more to the box:
Amor fati: Seeing the “problem” as an opportunity.
Amor fati is a concept from the Stoic philosophers, advising us to “Love whatever happens.”  How is that possible?  One way to approach it is to think of whatever happens as an opportunity for a creative response.  Had it not been for the war in Viet Nam, I might never have taken the path of global citizenship that I have taken.  My book on global citizenship might never have been written, I might never have become connected with the many brilliant Calgarians it has been my privilege to know.  I would never suggest that the US war on Viet Nam was a good thing, and yet it opened a door for me and when I walked through that door my life had a purpose.  And that is a good thing. 
War is a “problem,” the pandemic is a “problem,” and each of you if asked to do so could write down a dozen more “problems,” ranging from small ones to large ones.  Think of some of your favorite movies and there will probably be at least one key “problem” that was essential to making each of them a good story. 
So I’ll suggest the following exercise for our next dialogue if this appeals to you as a topic. 
1.    Define an interesting “problem.” (How you define it is important.)
2.    Explain how that “problem” could become a golden opportunity.
3.    Come up with at least three creative “solutions” (or responses) to the problem you have defined.
By Wednesday, I’ll send you the synopsis of a book that is highly relevant to this topic.
Please have a chocolate.
Arthur






No comments:

Post a Comment